Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Happy Birthday (an adventure in paper rolling)

Hey Everyone!! 

I wanted to share a layout and tutorial I have up on the Scrapbook Nerd Forum. Our challenge this month is to use those 6x6 paper pads, so I've got a super easy way to use them up and give your projects some awesome dimension and texture!

I made this card using a fabulous Tim Holtz stamp that I got from the SN Store (It's no longer in the shop, but I bet if you asked really nicely they would order it in for you...because that's just how they roll!) Now, to see how I roll with my 6x6 paper pad in hand! lol

Once I chose my papers that I wanted to use from the pad I cut them up into 1x6 inch strips...then I cut them in half to make a final measurement of 1x3 inches.


You'll need more or less than this depending on what you're planning on making with these fabulously rolled pieces of paper. For my project I didn't even end up using all of these strips :) Once you've got them cut into 1x3 inch strips, you can run the paper through your fingers back and forth and give it a bit of a curve a few times. That will soften the paper up a bit and make it easier to roll them! Before you start rolling, make sure you've got your hot glue gun plugged in. I tried using regular adhesive for this, but these babies are strong and a regular adhesive runner just wasn't strong enough!

So now you're ready to roll! Just start at the beginning of the paper and roll the paper in between your fingers until it's all rolled up! The tightness of the wrap depends on what you want to do with it! For this card, I knew I wanted the pieces to kind of resemble candles and to cover the cupcake wrapper. So I made the rolls pretty tight. If you wanted to roll up some paper a bit looser and cut them into little pieces you could make some fun textured confetti for a layout or a card! Could be fun! I think I feel a layout coming on!! lol  When you get to the end of the paper, put a little line of hot glue on the paper and finish rolling it up! Now repeat it a million times...lol...kidding!


I also used my hot glue gun to attach the rolled paper to my finished card. I like how strong the adhesive is! You wouldn't want one of these pretties to fall off before you gave your card away!! 

There you go! It's a really easy way to add some super fun texture and added interest to your projects! 


I stamped this cupcake twice and fussy cut the frosting out to add on top too once I had coloured it. To get the watercolour look on the frosting, I coloured my non stick craft mat with some of those fabulous Faber Castel Big Brush Pens and then just picked the colour up with a water brush! 


Once it was dry, I used a Wink of Stella pen in pink to give it a little sparkle here and there!


I'm really happy with how this card turned out! My mom really liked it too! 

Summer Camp is still in full swing at Scrapbook Nerd!! Come and join us! We've got 11 different challenges for you so far and more to come!! 


Blessings



2 comments:

  1. Sooooooo love love love this! LOVING those rolled papers!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute rolled papers- they make an adorable cupcake liner :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and giving me some love!
-Blessings,
Sarah